Using certain versions of Access 2016 and Office 365 with Catalyst versions 5.10 and earlier, Microsoft Access crashes when trying to 'Relink Company Database'.
A bug was introduced in Access 2016 somewhere between Office versions 1802 and 1811. To identify the Office version you are using, refer to this help article. If you are using an Office version greater than 1802 and a Catalyst release before version 5.11 , it may be necessary roll back your Office version as described in the next section.
Either upgrade to Catalyst version 5.11 or later or use one of the work-around methods provided below.
- If you have another client PC with an Office version not affected by this issue, you can use that client to relink to the back-end company database and then copy the front-end database from that machine to the affected client machine. The table link properties are stored in the front-end database and can be transferred to another PC through file copy. It does not appear this bug affects any other functionality in Catalyst except the enumeration of tables that occurs during the relink operation.
- Rollback your current version of Office to a known working version. To perform a version rollback, follow the steps below.
- Open Access (or Excel, Word) and File > Account > Update Options > Disable Updates. This step is required to prevent Office from updating after the rollback.
- From the Windows Start button, type cmd and press the Enter key.
- On the command prompt, type C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun and press the Enter key to change to the ClickToRun directory.
- On the command prompt, type OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.9029.2253. This will start the process to download and install Office Version 1802 (Build 9029.2253).